Thursday, November 10, 2011

Blackstar, Beek's Peak... ...Conquered!



Finally~~~~~ 8 miles uphill and 2,000 ft. elevation will never rank in any other record book but my own. After 3 other attempts and one being less than a mile to the top, I finally rode all the way up to Beek's Place at the top of Blackstar Canyon, nestled near the peaks of Saddleback mountain.
Last Saturday was a clear and chilly day after the rains offering perfect ride conditions for the group of 8 who pedaled together at the start.
My partner and I are always the sweepers, delegated or not, but we don't mind. We pedal as fast as we can and have surrendered to the energy of tortoise; slow but steady.
This day, my new diet and exercise regimen I'd begun 3 weeks earlier, was kicking in. I had increased cardio power, a bit more muscle mass in the pumpers along with the vision of; "I think I can, I think I can."
I had my sights and handle bars steering towards that giant golf ball (radar or satellite tower?) on top of Beek's peak. Today, I knew we would finally land on top and claim my bragging rights.
The other 6 riders were long gone ahead after 20 minutes out of the starting gate. It was nice while it lasted: hanging out with the group and being a part of the energy always takes me further and faster.
But me and Al realized our trip would be our trip and we'd be saying "see ya" before long.
But that's ok. We tend to be sight seers anyway; always finding a short break in the shade when stopping for a quick re-fuel is needed, or when my thighs can't pump one more revolution no matter how hard I think positive!
The morning had one goal only....to finally get me to the top. Al was not going to see me stop short this time. I was a woman on a mission to have Beek's peak notched on my handle and I could feel it and see it, even if I had to walk. Which of course I did, the last 1/2 mile.
Thighs were begging me for a break and no one was watching!
I would have loved to include more photos of the long and winding road, of the panoramic views of the Hidden Valley Ranch and the number of gorgeous canyons tucked in spots we rode by. Instead I registered each one in my mind to remember always and just kept pumping.
The ease of Blackstar is the fire road all the up and back. No rock gardens, dangerous ruts, roots, or single track with sheer drops to the right or left. Although that IS part of the mtn. bike joy on occasion. The workout and challenge of Blackstar is it's constant uphill 8 miles grind. I like it!
Those rides are a great workout for cardio and endurance.
And so, I've added a notch to my bike belt and Al captured my hard earned, if not exhausted smile at the top and I wondered........did Mr. and Mrs. Beek ride back and forth to work everyday?????

No comments:

Post a Comment